Blog Journal #2


 1.) Growing up, I used my parent's Windows PC, and it wasn't until high school that I started using Apple products. Because of this, I grew up using Microsoft Word. Even when I got my MacBook, it was a given that I would install Microsoft Word onto my laptop. I use it still because I find that it is the most cooperative with other software systems. I do like using google docs for in-class assignments and doing group projects, but when it comes to writing essays or editing other people's papers, I like Microsoft. 

2.) I would say the standard that I find to be one of the more important ones would be the Facilitator one. Essentially, it is a standard that prompts teachers to foster a healthy learning environment through technology. Teachers should use technology in order to create ways for children to learn how to problem-solve and take responsibility for their learning in group or independent settings. Creativity is to be promoted through the use of technology as well. 

3.) I think the term Digital Native has a place in terminology, but I do not think assumptions about that label should be made. I think the concept of people born after the creation of the internet or PC could be labeled as digital natives, and people who were alive before the creation of the internet could be called digital immigrants. But, I do not think these names should have any implications on how well someone uses technology or how often. For example, I would consider myself a digital native, because I do not know life without the existence of a computer. But, my grandfather, who would be considered a digital immigrant knows a lit more about technology and uses it more often than I do. So I think the labels could be appropriately used, just not in the way Prensky has used them. 



Untitled, Photo by Julia M Cameron from Pexels

Comments